Saturday, August 25, 2012

#3: 21st Century Elightenment


Before the world reaches a 21st century enlightenment we do have to think differently and see things differently, especially a lot of the older generation. I think my generation has started to become more diverse than the last few previous generations, and a lot more open minded. I believe the problems circle around everyone just doing the same thing we have always done.  I agree that society has become more violent, and a lot less empathetic. It’s almost like we are taking a trip back through time. If we do not focus on empathy, then that leaves more room for hate. I totally agree that even if we become more empathetic there will still be disputes because we are all going to have our differences, but I think that along with learning empathy we need to learn to express our differences in better ways. Difference is what makes the world go round. I have a lot of different opinions than my friends and family, and I also need to work on expressing those opinions in an effective way rather than attacking.

Going back to how society has been doing the same thing we have always done I agree with Sir Ken Robinson when he says “they are trying to meet the future by doing what they did in the past”. How can we better the present if we never change what we are doing? I don’t think there isn’t one thing Robinson says in this entire speech that I don’t agree with. I do believe kids are being overly medicated, with prescriptions for ADHD because they can’t focus. I think kids can’t focus because there is so much going on in the world today it’s hard for anyone to focus, but the way the education system is set up it makes it even harder to focus. I didn’t even realize how schools are like factories till Robinson brought it up. It’s strange how everything is set up that way. I don’t think it would be an easy task to change or control. I mean how do we change the way education has been for over centuries? We have gotten accustom to the way things are, and a lot of people don’t like change and wouldn’t adapt to it very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment