Thursday, August 23, 2012

#2: They Say

People of authority are the ones I consider "they". I refer to my sons pediatrician along with the American Academy of Pediatrics as "they" all the time. Teachers, parents, elderly, sales people and anyone who has been educated and show a sense of confidence about what they are talking about have all been referred to "they" a time or two in my house. We have created a strong trust in these individuals. Their opinions, and knowledge mean a lot to us.

 It is amazing how right he is about advertising companies being in your face at first, but have a more soft approach now. We really have got so immune to the way people try to get us to buy things. When I go to a dealership I cringe because I automatically know those salesmen are going to be right there beside the car I currently drive before I can even get my seat belt unfastened. I know exactly how pushy, and controlling they are going to be. Everyone is trying to make a sale, trying to keep their job, and trying to keep their company afloat.If I went to a car lot and people were not so pushy I would be shocked. So shocked that I would probably end up buying my car from them because I would consider it much more friendly. I knew there was a lot of thought and money put into the placement of stores and how each store was set up, but had no idea psychologist helped developed shopping malls down to the very last detail. That scares me a little bit.

Douglas Rushcoff lost me a little bit in the middle, but at the end when he began to illustrate how he captured me into the reading I was again, shocked. How much of media inspires my generation, how much we rely on it without even realizing it is fascinating. I can sit here and ponder whether I am the way I am because that is who I truly want to be, or is it because media, and society made me that way? Sadly I do not think I will ever know.


No comments:

Post a Comment